When using Words of Affirmations we sometimes feel like we are saying the same thing over and over again. We are going to talk about 4 ways to use Words of Affirmations to help change it up a bit!
Ryan’s primary Love Language is Words of Affirmations so I come across this issue sometimes as well. So I cracked open The 5 Love Languages again to reread the chapter to see if I could get any new ideas. I thought I would share what I learned!
There are 4 different ways to use Words of Affirmations:
Verbal Compliments- Make your compliments diverse in their topics.
- Appearance- “Wow, you look spiffy in that outfit!”
- Skill- “The meal you cooked tonight was delicious!”
- Character- “I am so glad you are honest with me.”
Encouraging Words- This means to “inspire courage”.
- We all have things we feel insecure about so encourage your husband in those areas.
- Does your husband have untapped potential? Encourage them with your words.
- Empathize and see the world in your husband’s eyes before giving encouraging words.
Kind Words- Love is kind so say kind words.
- The same sentence can have two meanings depending on our tone of voice and attitude. Make a choice daily to have kind words!
Humble Words- We should request things instead of demand.
- “When you make a request of your spouse, you are affirming his or her worth and abilities.” –pg 46.
We have to remember, just like any language there are dialects. The same is true for the 5 Love Languages. Use a new dialect this week to fill your husband’s love tank!
Which one of the four ways will you use Words of Affirmations today with your husband?
Until next time- truly love,