When Miss M was a bit younger I would take her to the gym daycare in her carseat and leave her there while I did a little workout. I figured she was sleeping and covered so all I needed was someone to listen for her. Perfect! Well now that she is getting older, we have been working on setting a schedule for her naps, play time and feedings. We also are wanting her to do most of her sleeping in her crib verses in the car/carseat during errands. With that I have been spending the last few weeks really trying to figure out a schedule that works for Miss M’s needs, but also allows me to get a good workout in.
I have come to the conclusion that it means I have to find ways to workout some days without leaving the house! I have always been the type that it is easier to get myself to workout if I leave the house. So I am not going to lie this has been a bit of a challenge for me. However, I have figured out some ways to help me get a workout in even with a little one!
- Find a mom and me yoga dvd
- Pin some cross fit circuits you see going around Pinterest. Take twenty minutes at the first of nap time to do one.
- Invest in a jump rope. This is a fast way to get a burst of cardio
- Use your baby as a weight. I have found out some ways to use Miss M while working my arms, abs or legs all while she feels like she is playing.
- Do squats while doing other tasks. I have been known to do squats while folding laundry and pumping milking.
- Put baby in bouncer then do a short cardio video that has music. Your baby will enjoy watching you and listening to the music along with getting their exercise in too.
- Dance around the house with your baby while music is on.
- Mop the floors by using a rag under each foot. Use wide sliding motions. This is a great inner thigh workout!
- Purchase ankle or wrist weights to wear while you clean the house.
- While stirring food on the stove do calf raises.
Incorporate a 5 minute easy routine to end your day before you do your other nightly things to get ready for bed.
I realize some of these might seem a bit silly. But if getting a workout is a priority of yours sometimes you have to be a bit creative to get it done! I am sure there are different challenges depending on what age the baby is. In the early days after Miss M was born I always felt like I was sitting to nurse. Now that she is awake more I am learning to balance how to incorporate working out into my day. With a bit of creativity you can figure out some ways to workout without leaving the house!
What is your go to at home workout?
Until Next Time- Truly Love,