Affiliate links may be used in this post. Ordering through these links may result in a commission, which helps pay for the cost of running this site and keeps the content free.
Today’s co-host is Elise from Cheers Ya’ll!
Do you ever think, “Man, I wish I would have known that before I got married!”? I think we all do on occasion! Today, we have Elise from Cheers Ya’ll co-hosting this giveaway and telling us what she wish she would have known. But before she shares let me tell you what I wish I would have known before marriage!
1) That we could be so similar and so different at the same time. Ryan and I clicked so well because we have the same core beliefs on many topics. After being married for just over two years now I realize that yes we are very similar in those aspects we also have areas that we are very different in. The way we work, organize and think often are very different.
2) Sex is sometimes an act of service. There are times that sex is not necessarily on our mind, but it is on our spouses. We must learn to be servant lovers when it comes to intimacy.
3) That love is a verb. Often times love is considered a feeling and that it is, but it is more than that. It is an action. We must choose to show love to our hubby every day. Be that with our words, actions or spending habits.
Now back to Elise our wonderful co-host from Cheers Ya’ll! Here is what she said she wish she knew before she got married:
4) The purpose of marriage is to reflect God’s image. That’s right. Marriage was not made for me, nor was marriage made to be just for my spouse. Marriage should be about God. Our marriages should reflect His image, specifically the Trinity…3 persons in one. Just as God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit work together in perfect unity, we should strive to reflect that sort of union with our spouse.
If that doesn’t make sense, think of it like this:
5) Repaying an insult with a blessing is the hardest thing ever. In 1 Peter 3:9, Scripture instructs us to repay an insult with a blessing. Sounds lovely, right?! Well, it’s a lot easier said than done when you’re irritated and you live with the person who knows how to push your buttons better than anyone else!! If your spouse hurts your feelings, try to bless him instead of hurt his feelings too. When he is driving you crazy, seek a blessing. When you’re just in a bad mood and want to be grumpy, meditate on His will for you! This whole return-an-insult-with-a-blessing-thing is still so hard for me, but Scripture tells us we will inherit a blessing by doing so!
6) Purity DOES matter. [This is one of those…”eeeeek!-should-I-really-say-this!?” moments. But living boldly for Christ was one of my 2013 goals…so…doing it.] I used to think that by my husband and I not having sex till our wedding night…well, I thought that I was basically doing everything right in the purity department. I waited until marriage! I did it all right! Right?!?! WRONG! Purity means a lot more than exclusively sexual intercourse. And it’s SO EASY to think, “Times have changed! The world is different now.” God didn’t create His word to be transient or fleeting. Listen: I love my husband so immeasurably. Even without having sex before marriage, I still have a hard time thinking about different ways I could have honored God more rather than falling for looking more like the world. This is a topic I am super passionate about because it is all too rare that women push each other toward purity these days. Regardless of your where you are/where you’ve been in your walk with the Lord, I would love to answer any questions or talk more about this with you! Not because I did it perfectly, but because I didn’t do it perfectly!! Just shoot me an email! 🙂
Along the journey of marriage we are sure there will be even more things that make us think, “Why didn’t I know that beforehand?” And so today we are giving away a copy of “Things I Wish I’d Known Before We Got Married” by Gary Chapman (who is well known for The 5 Love Languages) along with 3 handmade bookmarks! Don’t want or need it? It would make for a great holiday gift!
Head on over to Cheers Ya’ll to take a look around and find out more about Elise! She is a Christian wife who blogs about “toasting to life”. Get it…Cheers ya’ll…toasting! J Then, enter the giveaway below!
What is something you wish you knew before getting married?
Until Next Time- Truly Love,