After a race sometimes it is hard to know exactly what to say to your runner. You are proud of their accomplishments whatever they did. But how do you let them know that? One thing I find myself saying over and over to runners is “What you did today is more than most people did today.” Then, I envision people sitting on their couch that early Saturday morning watching television or even better still in bed.
But that phrase really isn’t the best. Here are ten phrases that are probably better options:
- You looked strong.
- Your form was great.
- It seemed like you had power going up hill.
- Way to keep your head in the game.
- I’m so proud of you for finishing even though it was tough.
- I’m glad you were able to keep going.
- You looked light on your feet.
- You passed him with such ease.
- You finished like a champion.
- Just think about what you accomplished today.
Of course these phrases should be used in context and only if they are true statements. The most encouraging things are those that are genuine and true. After the race when your athlete is giving you a race overview that you slide in a few encouraging words!
What is an encouraging phrase you tell your runner?
Until Next Time- Truly Love,